Wednesday, October 06, 2004

Oh, it's a wonderful day in the neighborhood...la la la

Up early even on holiday...but a great chance to put on the coffee and start thumbing through books, comics, left over junk for material for a collage. Wishing now I hadn't been so quick to throw out so many maggies in an attempt to bring order to the mayhem here. Still, after much rummaging like a little mouse, I was able to snip and paste...with moderate success. Not the professionalism of a true artist, but a fun exercise. Michael sets very high standards with his artwork. So most of the day was gone, with Jon making a surprise visit during the day-inspired by the chilly weather to make bread this week-end while I come up with a special soup. Also decided to spend Saturday at home for a change to work on our various projects. Checked around on the blogs and it seems everyone has had a busy day with way too much crowded in. Reminds me of the honey bees...or the view from an airplane, with cars flitting about everywhere. Up-graded Flickr so now can place pictures to my hearts content! Thanks for the offer to help with the counter, Roger. You have much too much to do to bother. I'll work it out as I'm a sticker when it comes to a challenge! Think I shall go read my book...getting to the good part! After I go "harvest" some of my basil for pesto, that is. And after I work on the photos...Whoever by the way is Worzal Gummridge?!

10 Comments:

Blogger Be said...

Hi there, neighbor! Just found your site through some random clicking around. I believe that Gummridge is an English television character in a children's show years ago (when you or I were kids).

I see you pesto'd too this past weekend. I hit my gahden last week and made like a quart of the stuff. Can't stand the sight of it anymore - but still have tons of other herbs (parsley, rosemary, tarragon, chives, thyme). Can't decide whether I want to freeze them, make them into some sort of 'fins herbes' (provençal) peston, or dry them.

8:40 PM  
Blogger sylviasometimes said...

Hi Be...Sounds like you have quite the garden...and isn't it always true, you wait and wait for it to come then have WAY too much! Love basil, in soups and pesto. It doesn't freeze well though so have to make your product(sauces, soups, etc.) and freeze that. Yummy winter eating. The other herbs do better drying...then store for great seasonings for wintertime. Ah, I do remember watching some Gummridge...even re-runs as I loved watching how he retrieved himself from his latest snafu. But Wortzal Gummridge I think is a whole other animal...namely a muscian/singer? Maybe someone will offer additional info. Glad you stopped by & hope to see you again!

9:38 PM  
Blogger hazel said...

Worzel Gummidge was indeed a populat Tv show of the 70's over here based on the books of thingamebob. A scarecrow made by the Crow man who road a three wheeled bike and always getting Worzel out of scrapes.he had a freind called Aunt Sally too who was made of wood. Worzel was played byJon pertwee who used to be in the Navy Lark and was a Dr. Who for a while. he sings on the record - sortof folksy stuff a bit like the Wurzels which makes it even more confusing! Worzel is an a shortened name for "mangleworzle"- a type of root vegetable much admired by peasants for stewing and making scarecrows heads out of!

8:41 AM  
Blogger sylviasometimes said...

Thank you, Hazel...that was great! The names of these characters always make me hoot!

10:38 AM  
Blogger Roger Stevens said...

oooooh arrrrrrr ooooo aunt salllyyyyyyyy oooooohhhharrrrrrrrr....

4:06 PM  
Blogger Wastedpapiers said...

He's been at the metal-polish again!

4:42 PM  
Blogger sylviasometimes said...

And Worzal did some Dylan?!! Oh dearrrr! Waiting for my new Tom Waites CD...from the reviews he's gruffier than ever. Jon does a good imitation of sandpaper applied to the vocal cords. Interested to hear the new sitar music on the bootsale...loved Indian music so we shall see. Roger, was that you gurgling up above? Poor Aunt Sally...so misunderstood. Hazel, must be up to your elbows in eager beavers by now...lucky them to have you for a teacher!
Meanwhile, I gathered the basil then looked at it...wiggled my nose, didn't matter at twit! The Master expects a decent repast...a weevil, a toadie, and ants served up fast. It's lucky I have my garden to wander...these tasty tidbits I'd not like to squander.
Ah...welcome to the land of Nod...dinner anyone?

7:04 PM  
Blogger sylviasometimes said...

Hitch-hikers Guide to the Galaxy? Whatever are you listening to?!

9:26 PM  
Blogger Wastedpapiers said...

A wonderful book if you've not read it. do- a trilogy infact or maybe a quadrilogy? the First is the best and classic soon to be made into afilm by americans! (I i dread to think what liberties they will take with its very english story)
The latest radio version is of the second part -the ~tertiary phase, and very funny it is too.

6:33 PM  
Blogger sylviasometimes said...

Michael, sometimes the movies add insight...other times they are blind and miss the total meaning of the story. We shall see.

2:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home