Sunday, November 06, 2005

Dare...collage


Dare...collage
Originally uploaded by Sylvia...Sometimes.
So yesterday we headed off to the Peabody Museum for the much promoted Taj Mahal exhibit, which frankly was a disappointment. Rather small, a few good photos and nice inlaid tile piece but not what we expected. But a great aerial photo show (forget the photgraphers name)...as a pilot he realised that lines do not appear in nature...but only when man has intervened. His shots supported that and were pretty amazing. Later on to a local artist opening at the Clark Gallery in Lincoln...Donald Saph. Wonderful light in woodsy scenes, and the appearance of this strange thin little man with a hat in many of the paintings. Knew instantly that is was the artist and he later confirmed that. Donald also illustrates childrens books and I was able to get one. Unusual, it also has a CD of music with it. Haven't had time to check that out. Then finally on to the market. We picked out the makings for a wonderful meal, but since we had had a large Japanese lunch, no one was hungry. Happens every time so I don't know why we bother...go figure. As for collages, there is the same dilema as with mailart...handwork,cut & pasting is very rewarding, but digital offers some other possiblities. For me, I like blending layers. Same could be done with paper but it takes a lot more resources for the materials needed. To be honest, working with paper, paint, etc. does give one more satisfaction ( I think).
Time flies & I've not accomplished nearly as much as I wanted to today.
Wherever you are...stay safe and dry. But better keep an oar close just in case. Night.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ed Giecek said...

Howdy Syl! Just pandering through... checkin' out the blogg'zZ an such. I love this collage. The transparent look reminds me of watercolor (my first artistic love). Keep up the good werk'zZ!!! --ed

2:13 PM  
Blogger sylviasometimes said...

Always makes me happy to hear from you Ed. Not surprized to learn water-colour is a medium you love, because of all the beautiful treatments you've added to ATCs and cards. Would love to see more of that work from you. Take care...beezzzz good!

2:51 PM  
Blogger Wastedpapiers said...

I think i prefer your cut and paste papier collages Syl. Probabaly because I'm jealous of your digital layering technique and cant figure it out! Photoshop is beyond me I'm afraid.
Its pretty wild and windy here this morninbg with gales in scotland and northern ireland. Staying in to make some collages and listen to the Kirsty MacColl CD i found at the local library.

3:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home