Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Wishes for the holidays...



Originally uploaded by Sylvia...Sometimes.
Yikers! It can't have been so long since I was here! But it has been a twirlywhirly time, to be sure. Sad happenings...one of our nurses had a very quick run of cancer and lost the battle. Another of our nurses, the rolling chair scooted out from under and she smashed her head on the hard linoleum floor...first an intercranial headbleed...then a stroke. For a few weeks she was one of our patients! Heartbreaking...she is 41 years old.
Then crazy mischief occurred. As I was outside the house seeing Jon off for a walk, this teener casually walked up and slipped into my car...right there in front of us! Jon went flying over to the car, banging on the windows, yelling "What do ya think you are doing?!!! Get outta there!". Well, cool as a cucumber, the guy slowly got out and started walking away. We didn't pursue him as we were too stunned...and didn't know if he might have some weapon! A few feet away the guy had the cheek to turn around and give Jon a dirty look! Uh oh...trouble. This was right before Thanksgiving. Well, the day before Thanksgiving I came home from work and again parked my car out front. When I was leaving for work the next 6:00 AM, someone had smashed into the side of my car! Maybe a coincidence...maybe not. But the police couldn't do anything...no witnesses.
Know what...ordinarily I would have been totally miffed...but the earlier happenings I mentioned put things into perspective. At least no one was hurt.
Ohhh, but one more thing...was taking pictures (imagine that! ;-) when all of a sudden the lens came half out and froze. Well I pulled & I tugged, and that baby wasn't budging. Stronger tactics needed! Out come knives, pliers...groans, and a few choice words later, I conceded that my camera was indeed ready for the emergency room.
Luckily it can be "healed"...but at the factory....weeks and weeks of waiting!!! I tried not to whine but I felt like my best friend had just left town...for good! Jonathan took pity and graciously, wonderfully, miraculously bought me a new one for Christmas...and let me have it as an early gift. Hey, he can be tought at times!!! So much to learn about it but much better quality and ability to do what I want with images...hopefully it will show as I learn.
So...Christmas tree is up and trimmed...and the advent candles lit.
Time to remember what this season is all about...and to remember
there are so many brothers & sisters out there having a really hard time...so...time to give...patience, love, understanding, tolerance, and if all possible, something to help it be a sweeter day for them.
Well, here I've rambled again...sure feels good to be back.
Roger...sending you Love and Hugs...hope your holidays are chock full of good times and music and poetry...
Michael...Hazel...if you see this...only the best wishes to two of the best people I've had the pleasure to meet.
And to the rest of you...wherever you are...Peace...Joy...and some Rockin' good times!

16 Comments:

Blogger Wastedpapiers said...

Well, it's nice to see you back with your nose to the blog again Syl! Sorry to hear though about all the upset. You seemed to live in a very quiet neighbourhood. Hope you don't have any more problems with would-be car thieves.
All the best to you two too. A little something in the post and hopefully it will get to you before Xmas.
We look forward to some lovely new photos on Flickr with the new camera!

2:13 AM  
Blogger hazel said...

Hello There you two.
lovely to hear from you on your blog..but you have had a very tough time...your poor nurses.
I'm glad to be getting a break...its been a tiring year..but full of interesting things...I'm not as nice as you think though..you should hear me moan and complain some days....
Glad Jon didn't chase the nasty would be car thief..its not worth risking your life for a car..
Look after each other...and have a healthy 2007.

10:38 AM  
Blogger sylviasometimes said...

Michael...looking at your blog...well, main page...zowie at all you are doing! But always knew you were an organiser and inspirer...really appreciate how many different aspects you influence. Big box...small thingys in the post also to you...
and before Kringel time!!! This year anyway...oh, Michael...my time works on such a crazy scale.

Hazel...lovely to hear from you...think some of my best times there have been on walks with you...still laughing that I totally missed a poster indicating an hairdryer near by! Enjoy your holidays...know you are so conscientous with work...plenty of time for that.

9:18 PM  
Blogger hazel said...

Hi Syl.
The poster and Hairdryer were quite easy to miss amongst all of the other clutter on the landing...

We enjoyed our walks with you too...that swan still keeps asking about you..

6:15 AM  
Blogger Roger Stevens said...

Hi - what strange experiences. Maybe the guy got into the wrong car by mistake. I once got very cross in a car park when the boot of my car wouldn't open - only to discover it wasn't my car at all.

Good luck with the new camera! You see - alls well that ends with a new camera.

Have a wonderful Christmas.

XXX
Roger

5:44 PM  
Blogger sylviasometimes said...

LOL...Roger! YOu mean you got in the thing and still didn't register?! I love the caos of it all, you see...as I don't feel I am the only one totally ranting at something I've created myself.
I keep peeping into your blog...because I love the way you so explicitly see and articulate those little experiences that somehow affect us.
Happy Christmas and hugs to you...will let Jon hug Jill.
Take care, my sweet poetic, slightly crazy (but oh! I love it!) friend.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Roger Stevens said...

Thanks Syl.

But gosh! I just looked at the calendar. It's February already.

Where are you?

11:36 AM  
Blogger sylviasometimes said...

Oh Roger, spread too think...if only there were time to do all we choose...instead, it's a bit here, a bit there...bet you've never been
called a "bit" before! ;-)
Give me news of you...am in in Georgia kicking it up with a few pals for a while.
Hugs & let me hear, dear Roger.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Wastedpapiers said...

I have these empty Flickr squares everywhere now to remind me how stupid they. nevermind. Its about time you blogged again Syl else where can we see your lovely photos?!

O well I'm full of fish pie so better go and run upstairs to collage a bit and work off some calories! ha ha!

3:36 PM  
Blogger sylviasometimes said...

Michael!!! Oh, now I see what you mean about the bleeping empty flicr screens...For a year now, I've been in the strangest mood...flat...no knowing what to do to get my spunk back...but regardless how I felt, I know I could go to your sight and come away with music or laughs...a good time!!!
So I'll be chasing you down on YOUR blog...and, for you, will try to shake a leg and get something halfway interesting to write on mine.
Love & xxx's to you all, my friend.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Wastedpapiers said...

You must be doing SOMETHING interesting to blog about Syl?? Still waiting for those blog visits!

Its very humid here today ( 12th June 2007 ) and overcaste. Archie is having his breakfast and grumbling about school. H'es going through a "I hate school" phase at the moment. Mine lasted for about 5 years! Hazel is off to Manc. -probably there by now as she gets the earlier less crowded train with comfy seats and room to spread herself about. We are off to see the 3rd year shows on Friday. Staying in hotel and looking round the rest the next day if its not too hot.

How is Jonathan? Hope all is well with you. Miss your Flickr photos and the friendships built up there over the years. I really hate Flickr now for spoiling it for me though no I spend too much time sitting at computer- hence the back back which is a long time mending. Sposed to go to chiropractor today but cancelled- I have no trust in her and her lectures about the spine. It seems to be getting better slowly without her help. and its cheaper too!

Take care!

3:01 AM  
Blogger sylviasometimes said...

Just testing to try to sign on!

9:34 AM  
Blogger sylviasometimes said...

For some reason I always have the worst time trying to sign in since flickr joined with yahoo! But finally made it!
Back later!

9:37 AM  
Blogger Roger Stevens said...

Hi Sylv -

So - how's the signing on going. I bet you'll find time to write about something soon. Go on - I bet something happened. Are you well? Do tell...

6:33 AM  
Blogger sylviasometimes said...

Hello, sweet Roger...oh, but has been a lifetime and then some it seems...but today I received Poems
in Space...and my imagination is again ignited...hearing all of your voices...your dedication, what
a terrific fun surprise! I love it, of course! Oh but I hope all is swell with you...your poems show a world I smile at, laugh at, weep at...all, with your special sight. Thank you and a big hug, my friend!

7:33 PM  
Blogger Wastedpapiers said...

Happy Birthday for yesterday! Sorry this message is a bit late and you probably dont come here much to look at the comments anyway!
Glad you liked the Poems In Spice. It was fun to do. Got a few to sell at the Manchester Artists Book Fair soon and Jane at the bookshop in Waterloo has promised to take some. She played her copy of the CD to her customers and left a form for them to fill in. "How much would you be prepared to pay for soemthing like this? 50p 100p 500p 1,000p" "Does this poetry make you feel - happy, sad, indiferent, puzzled, rancid" etc. She was taking it all very seriously which worried me a bit. Nobody filled them in needless to say!

2:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home